Community

Online Rhubarb

We received 174 responses correctly identifying the Fake Ad on p. 11 of the November Observer. The ad was for a book, Can You Have an Online Rhubarb?, self-published by Ed Nimby, a character who’s appeared in several...

Read More

Ann Pearlman

Time for an unlisted number? That’s what friends are asking Ann Pearlman. The question throws the therapist, author, and longtime Ann Arborite for a loop. Yes, she’s living out every writer’s fantasy: Simon...

Read More

Let ‘er rip

Straight-arrow former U-M baseball coach Don Lund, who guided the Wolverines to a national championship in 1962, was once a skilled sign stealer. That’s one revelation from Playing Ball with Legends, a new biography of...

Read More

Sea Nymph

“I believe the photo is of the fountain ‘Sea Nymph’…east of the Michigan League,” writes Kristen Schleick–the only entrant to correctly identify November’s feature. The turquoise-glazed...

Read More

Community Center Comeback

When the Rev. Yolanda Whiten was appointed to head the Ann Arbor Community Center in May 2007, it was unclear if the historically black nonprofit would survive. A couple months after Whiten started, the center’s previous...

Read More

Punk Paradise Lost

A hard rain fell as city inspectors Tony Savoni and Milt Andrews arrived at 715 Miller on Thursday, August 20. A pair of cops came with them, because Savoni and Andrews weren’t there just to inspect the battered Victorian...

Read More

Working It Out

When I moved to Ann Arbor, I set out to find the perfect gym. Since most gyms, recreation buildings, fitness studios, and athletic centers offer a free trial period to anyone willing to take a tour with a sales representative, I...

Read More

October I Spy

“And then at last your myth will harden, become a statue in the garden.”–Ejner Jensen,from Advice to a Unicorn”This beautiful unicorn illustrates a…poem written by my former colleague, Professor...

Read More

October Fake Ad

We received 100 entries to our little contest in October. Of those, ninety-nine correctly identified the Fake Ad for the Biergarten on p. 89. It’s been awhile since middle school math class, but that sounds like 99 percent...

Read More

West Towne Condos

Q. What is the status of the West Towne condos at the northwest corner of Maple and Liberty?A. The plans approved by City Council in July 2005 called for eighty-seven units in eight buildings. Construction began the following...

Read More

Basketball Revival

When Michigan beat then-undefeated Duke last December at Crisler Arena, excited fans spilled onto the court. U-M men’s basketball, after lurching around for more than ten years in a largely self-induced coma, had rejoined...

Read More

Busting Sod

I killed zucchini. And it was my backup plant. It’s so easy to grow that it’s literally a joke: someone who buys a zuke in the summer has no friends. As a first-time community gardener with Project Grow, not to...

Read More

No More Shushing

“I want to blow up people’s perceptions of libraries.”Chelsea District Library director Bill Harmer–and others like him–are doing just that. At what once were quiet, staid, small-town libraries, a...

Read More

Wenk’s Wines

Obscured by the greeting cards, candy, and convenience items at Wenk’s Prescription Shop is a little known but carefully selected collection of wine. The space is tight. Bottles are displayed upright in deep shelves,...

Read More

Blast from the Past

It’s not easy to find the office of ClassCreator.com on Packard. “We’ve been too busy to put up a sign,” explains founder and CEO Brad Switzer. A 1986 Pioneer High grad, Switzer was asked to do a pro-bono...

Read More

Trophy CSI

On the evening of November 19, 1931, a Cadillac pulled up to the two-level gas station on Washtenaw (today home to Bearclaw Coffee). According to the Michigan Daily, the driver and passengers had obscured their faces with...

Read More

Leif Elias

“Mom is the creative one,” says Leif Elias. “I’m more business minded.” Elias, twenty-nine, and her mother Nancy Elias, fifty-seven, are co-owners of Orchid Lane, the clothing and jewelry business...

Read More

Courthouse Square Troubles

Shirley Clarkson is leaving Courthouse Square. Packing boxes are stacked from floor to ceiling in her tenth-floor apartment, along with a few remaining pieces of furniture and a framed print of ancient Pompeii–Clarkson, a...

Read More

The Belford Lawson Mystery

Among the cognoscenti of Michigan football lore, it is well known that there was not a single African American letterman at U-M between George Jewett in 1892 and Willis Ward in 1932. This forty-year gap is commonly attributed to...

Read More

Mongo Piranha

What are people doing cutting up piranha over the Mongolian Barbeque on Main Street? Taking advantage of Michigan’s 42 percent film tax credit–in this case, by editing Piranha 3D. The forthcoming action thriller from...

Read More

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Nightspots