Community

Public Housing Shakeup

“The board is trying to bring us out of the mid-twentieth century,” says Marta Manildi.Last March, the city of Ann Arbor demolished its housing commission, terminating three of five board members. Manildi, one of the...

Read More

Vogel’s Lock and Safe

“Only one place in Ann Arbor has such a wonderful display of keys,” writes Angad Singh. “It’s Vogel’s Lock and Safe (of course!)” exclaims Ingrid Ault. “In business since 1913!”...

Read More

Erin’s Caldecott

The call came to the Depot Street apartment about 9 a.m. on Monday, January 10. Erin Stead heard the news, but couldn’t believe it. “Relax for the next few hours,” the woman from the American Library...

Read More

A Thrifty Family’s Legacy

The Waterloo Area Farm Museum, ten miles northwest of Chelsea, is a living monument to a memorable immigrant family.Johannes and Frederica Seybold, together with her two children from a previous marriage, arrived in 1844. With...

Read More

Rum Raiders

During the early hours of February 11, 1931, male students living in five fraternity houses on the U-M campus received unexpected guests–police officers who searched every room for alcohol.Coming just before the annual...

Read More

Death from Above

The pair of peregrine falcons in Burton Tower get the press, but the real raptor story in Ann Arbor is the growing number of hawks in town. In December, a Cooper’s hawk was seen flapping down Alhambra, a full-sized...

Read More

History Undercover

It was a great story. Ron Koenig, a friend of mine who works in architectural restoration, was on the second floor of a building in downtown Saline. The first floor was being rehabbed into a new restaurant, Mangiamo Italian...

Read More

Don’t mess with the library

When an Ann Arbor District Library patron apologized profusely while paying her $8 fine for overdue materials, the clerk reassured her: “That’s nothing. We have several people who owe more than a thousand dollars in...

Read More

Good Weather Underground

A U-M spin-off named after a radical sixties group is an unlikely capitalist success story.When Jeff Masters helped launch the Weather Underground as a private company in 1995, he never dreamed it would become the second-biggest...

Read More

Un-Refreshing

The Pepsi Refresh Challenge left the Ann Arbor Skatepark Action Committee worn out and still thirsty–for funds. The soft drink giant has shifted some of its advertising budget to charitable donations, giving out grants...

Read More

Future Geeks

“We are all having increasingly geeky kids,” says Dave Nelson, stay-at-home dad of four-year-old Otto Sam. But for all the kids’ skill at video games, Nelson says, those are “insular activities—and...

Read More

The Toughest Commute

“I didn’t bike yesterday,” says DeWight Plotner, almost apologetically.It’s the day after a nasty snowfall in mid-January, but Plotner, owner of Wheels in Motion on Washtenaw, feels he needs to explain...

Read More

Huron Valley Assisted Living

Last month’s Fake Ad for the New Year’s Eve Open House at Huron Valley Assisted Living (page 66 of the January Observer) prompted eighty-one responses. The ad contained a reference to the all-time cult film classic...

Read More

Bus Odyssey

Ditch your car and save $8,000 a year by riding the bus. That’s what a recent Ann Arbor Transportation Authority press release suggests. The newly rich bus rider was assumed to have driven a mid-sized sedan 15,000 miles a...

Read More

Cafe Felix

“I wondered if the map of the world had changed while I was away on vacation,” writes Kathy Peterson of January’s clue, “Where France borders Mongolia.” “Maybe some freakish act of nature...

Read More

Local Families’ Balancing Act

Joe Wywrot’s weekday morning essentials—crayons and coloring books—might seem unconventional for a civil engineer. But they sure come in handy on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays: Wywrot is also a husband and father of...

Read More

Know Your Fire Hydrants

Last fall, the sidewalk in front of Fire Station No. 1 on Fifth Ave. sprouted a row of seven fire hydrants. Though set in concrete instead of being hooked up to water mains, the exhibit is otherwise typical of the nearly 3,600...

Read More

Project Attic

My house is getting lighter. Any day now it may lift from its foundations and float away.For a couple of years I have been working on what I call “Project Attic.” My goal is to get rid of everything that I...

Read More

Workers in Transition

Jan Emmons was laid off in December of 2008. “I’d worked ten years as office assistant at a trucking company,” remembers the fifty-something Emmons, “and gone through school part-time–first...

Read More

Nowhere to Hide

“We’re very aggressive about collecting taxes during bankruptcy,” says county treasurer Catherine McClary. “We get virtually 100 percent of the money owed–and we work closely with cities and the...

Read More

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Nightspots