Click for Ann Arbor, Michigan Forecast
Friday July 03, 2015
Follow us: facebook twitter RSS feed
>> >> City Guide >> Community Services >> Legal Services, Mediation, and Consumer Services

City Guide

Legal Services, Mediation, and Consumer Services

Better Business Bureau of Detroit and Eastern Michigan

Provides online reviews on local businesses, alerts consumers to scams, and assists in the resolution of complaints.

26777 Central Park Blvd., suite 100, Southfield, MI 48076 [map]
(248) 223-9400

The Dispute Resolution Center

Seeks to create peaceful communities by offering a variety of affordable conflict resolution services and training in Washtenaw and Livingston counties., V

4133 Washtenaw, Suite B125. Mailing address: P.O. Box 8645, AA 48107 [map]
(734) 794-2125

Fair Housing Center of Southeastern Michigan

Investigates complaints of discrimination in the rental, sale, or financing of housing, including discrimination prohibited by federal law (race, color, religion, national origin, sex and sexual harassment), familial status (families with kids), and disability; state law (marital status and age); and Ann Arbor's local ordinance (condition of pregnancy, source of income, family responsibilities, educational association, sexual orientation, gender identity or HIV status). Provides free fair-housing testing, advice, advocacy, attorney referral, and community education to county residents., V

P.O. Box 7825, AA 48107
(734) 994-3426, (877) 979-3247

Family Law Project

Free legal counseling for battered women about personal protection orders and family law issues. Must be referred through SafeHouse Center, (734) 995-5444.

(734) 998-9454

Related Topics:

International Services (Jewish Family Services)

Low-cost help with paperwork, application status tracking, legal advocacy, and support for individuals interested in bringing relatives to the U.S. Citizenship education classes to assist eligible legal permanent residents in the naturalization process. Daily English as a Second Language classes. U

2245 S. State [map]
(734) 769-0209

Lawyer Referral & Information Service (Washtenaw County Bar Association)

Helps county residents determine whether they need a lawyer and refers them to one who will provide 30 minutes of free counseling. $30/referral.

County courthouse, 101 E. Huron, Suite 1111 [map]
(734) 996-3229

Legal Services of South Central Michigan

Free legal assistance for seniors and low-income people in civil cases such as landlord-tenant disputes, tax and mortgage foreclosure, contested custody, public benefits, and consumer issues. Clients must live or have a legal dispute in the county. Call for appointment Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

420 N. Fourth [map]
(734) 665-6181

Michigan Clinical Law Program (U-M Law School)

Free legal services Sept.-Apr. for low-income county residents. Law students supervised by a law professor handle landlord-tenant disputes, employment discrimination, consumer cases, and misdemeanor defense cases by appointment.,

363 Legal Research Bldg., 801 Monroe [map]
(734) 763-4319

Michigan Tenant Counseling Program

Information, education, handbooks, and brochures about tenants' rights. Online resource library. U-M students should use their own campus legal services (below).

Student Advocacy Center of Michigan

Education advocacy, support, and mentoring for school-age children and youth facing school-related challenges, particularly school discipline. Free or fee-based, depending on income. V

1921 W. Michigan, Ypsilanti 48197 [map]
(734) 482-0489

U-M Student Legal Services

Licensed attorneys give free legal advice to currently enrolled U-M students for civil, criminal, family, divorce, consumer, or landlord-tenant cases. Call for appointment Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-noon & 1-5 p.m.

715 N. University, Suite 202 [map]
(734) 763-9920

Washtenaw County/Eastern Michigan University Legal Resource Center (LRC)

Free help with court procedures in 4 civil law areas (family law, probate, small claims, and landlord-tenant), plus free forms for residents representing themselves in court. No criminal matters or appeals. Call or walk in; no appointment necessary. Mon., Tues., & Thurs. 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Washtenaw County Courthouse, 101 E. Huron. Closed Wed. and Fri.

(734) 994-0160

You might
also like:
drawing of a man's striped tie The Harbaugh Tie
Van Boven's new best seller

Kirk Westphal Nonpartisan Elections Ahead?
"It's better for democracy if more people vote," says councilmember Kirk Westphal.

Ann Arbor Observer cover Who Inspects Carnival Rides?
Question Corner: June 2015

Robert Randolph Robert Randolph
Sacred-secular steel

Marianne James and Reza Rahmani at the Ark, Ann Arbor, Michigan, May 2015 Dr. Rahmani's Downtown
He's paying top dollar and doing beautiful work. But can local businesses afford his rents?

Development director Sandy Williams and Executive director Sandy Hilton Which Perry?
There's good news for everyone who has ever confused the two Perry preschools.