Click for Ann Arbor, Michigan Forecast
Tuesday May 26, 2015
Follow us: facebook twitter RSS feed
>> >> City Guide >> Government >> Community Services

City Guide

Community Services

Ann Arbor Farmers Market

315 Detroit [map]
(734) 794-6255

Open-air farmers market located in Kerrytown has more than 160 vendors selling their own local produce, herbs, flowers, plants, meat, eggs, jams and jellies, brined and fermented foods, coffee, chocolate and candy, baked goods, and honey, as well as artisan-made goods. Open year-round, May-Dec. Wed. & Sat. 7 a.m.-3 p.m.; Jan.-Apr. Sat. 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday evening market, June-Oct. 4-8 p.m. Vendor applications accepted on a rolling basis.,,

Office of Community & Economic Development (OCED) of Washtenaw County

Washtenaw County Annex Bldg., 110 N. Fourth Ave., suite 300 [map]
(734) 622-9025

Works to enhance the vitality of Washtenaw County by developing opportunities for all residents to choose living wage employment, quality housing, stable neighborhoods, and community resources.

Programs include Michigan Works! Service Center (734-714-9814), providing resume and job search assistance, employment training, and youth employment programs; Weatherization & Home Rehabilitation (734-622-9036), providing income eligible county homeowners and renters with free energy efficiency improvements, as well as assisting eligible county property owners with rehabilitations, emergency repairs, and accessibility ramps; and Human Services (734-622-9025), providing emergency services such as eviction prevention and utility and food assistance, a foster grandparent program: (734) 222-3767senior nutrition program Meals on Wheels. OCED also refers potential homebuyers to the Washtenaw Housing Education Partners for housing education and counseling.

Related Topics:

Parks & Recreation

Customer Service Office, Cobblestone Farm, 2781 Packard
(734) 794-6230. Fax: (734) 996-3060

This unit, managed by Colin Smith, plans and manages city parks, swimming pools, golf courses, canoe liveries, and ice rinks, plus several community centers and other facilities, park shelter reservations, natural area preservation, and registration for programs and activities.

Related Topics:

Planning & Development

City Hall, 1st floor [map]
(734) 794-6267. Fax: (734) 994-8460

This unit administers and enforces land development ordinances, coordinates site plan review, prepares the city master plan in collaboration with the city planning commission, enforces building codes and ordinances, inspects rental property, coordinates activities of the planning and historic district commissions and city appeal boards, and issues various permits and licenses.

A development review and inspection services software application, eTRAKiT, is available at, by calling (734) 794-6267, or as a smart phone application. Users can search for permits, schedule inspections, see inspection results, and check the status of registrations with the city.

Planning. (734) 794-6265. Managed by Wendy Rampson, the planning unit serves as the staff for the planning commission, historic district commission, and design review board. Development proposals currently under review can be found at, and zoning information may be found at Individuals concerned about a development proposal are encouraged to contact the planning and development unit or attend a public hearing on the proposal. See Boards & Commissions for information on the planning commission's agendas and meeting schedules.

Construction inspections/building. (734) 794-6263. The construction/building section, managed by Ralph Welton, reviews plans for any proposed construction, enforces state building codes, and inspects all permitted construction within the city.

Permits are required for all new construction and for alterations, additions, attached or detached garages or carports (unless 200 square feet or smaller, and detached), decks, fences, sheds larger than 200 square feet, and any repairs whose estimated cost is more than $600. Permits are also required for the installation of any electrical, plumbing, heating, or refrigeration work. Contractors must submit an application form and two drawings of the proposed work. Applications are reviewed for compliance with code and safety requirements. Fees are based on the cost and scope of the project. Homeowners are allowed to apply for building permits but must file an affidavit affirming they are doing the work themselves and must meet with inspectors. Inspector staff offices hours are Mon.-Fri., 7:30-8 a.m. and 3:30-4 p.m. (however, not all inspectors are in the office at this time). The permit desk (734) 794-6267 also issues permits for sidewalk occupancy, barricades, events such as races, parades and rallies, street closings, and permits to work in the public right-of-way; conducts exams and issues licenses for sewer installers; and administers licenses for peddlers and solicitors, including charitable organizations. The permit desk cash register closes at 4 p.m.

Rental housing. (734) 794-6264. The rental housing section, managed by Lisha Turner-Tolbert, registers and inspects all rental properties approximately every 30 months. Tenants may request additional inspections for specific problems. Buildings not in compliance with the city's housing ordinance cannot legally be rented or occupied. Rental property owners who don't have an office within 25 miles of the city are required to hire a local agent.

Related Topics:

You might
also like:
Jayme Stone's Lomax Project Tradition Renewed
Jayme Stone's Lomax Project

Kimberly Elsifor stands at the bus depot, Ann Arbor Bus Story
My life on The Ride

Daniel Caudill creative director for Shinola Big Brands Downtown
Shinola and Ruth's Chris will open in May.

Singer at Opera on Tap Opera on Tap
Highbrow meets Loewenbraeu

Duo Mosaic Duo Mosaic

Donation box at the Natural history Museum, Ann Arbor Cultural Tip Jars
The U-M Museum of Art will get a dime for every visitor--but only if they give generously.