Click for Ann Arbor, Michigan Forecast
Friday December 19, 2014
Follow us: facebook twitter RSS feed
Print Comment E-mail

Traveling the Chain of Lakes

 

continued

Once people got to Zukey Lake, they could access the rest of the chain by boat. Steam-powered passenger boats began running in 1897. The first steamer was named the Prudence Potts, after the daughter of its owner, J. W. Potts. In the 1920s Potts advertised that he also had camping sites available on three of the lakes.

Once internal combustion engines became reliable enough, people quickly switched to them, because they didn't blow up like steam boilers could. For instance, Karl Guthe, U-M professor of physics, and his wife, Belle, used a "motor launch" to bring visitors to their cottage on Strawberry Lake; a 1917 photo shows one such guest, their niece Dora Ware (mother of Ann Arbor physician and historian Mark Hildebrandt). They also used the boat to pick up groceries at the store at Lakeland.

If motor launches were the lakes' equivalent of limousines, then rowboats were the taxis and rental cars. Rowboat owners met all the trains and could take people directly to their cottages. Some of those arriving would be met by friends who had their own boats, while others rented them for the duration of their vacations. A 1922 promotional book, Valley of a Thousand Lakes, is full of boat ads--for sale and for rent. The Waters' Pavilion resort in Lakeland promised "Motor boats, row boats and canoes for all," while Fred Imus, also of Lakeland, offered motor boat livery service as well as boats for sale, explaining that "with twenty miles of navigable waterways open to you a motor boat is a constant source of enjoyment."

Bookmark and Share
previous  ·  1 ... 4 l 5 l 6 ... 8 l 9 l 10  ·  next page
all on one page
read more stories here -> Marketplace  l  Culture  l  Community  l  News
Ms Green Construction, We are energy saving specialists that make existing homes energy efficient
A Visitors Guide to Ann Arbor