The Math of Dating
Some things about online dating are the same regardless of one's age, sex, or geographic location (but for the record I am fifty-four, female, and live in Ann Arbor). And though the Internet changes the way dates begin, the outcomes follow the same patterns they always have. After using a number of Internet dating sites-Yahoo, Match.com, eHarmony, Plenty of Fish, and Craigslist-off and on for five years, and having been out on more than a hundred dates, I have discovered there are basically five outcomes to dating:
- You want to see the person again, but they don't want to see you….47.5%
- The other person wants to see you again but you don't want to see them……47.5%
- Both parties agree…it ain't going to happen….3.5%
- Both parties are interested in a second date…..1.45 %
- Both parties are interested in dating and seeing what develops down the road….. .05%
So why would a well-educated and seemingly sane female roll the dice and decide it's worth the time and effort?