Ann Arbor Weather:
Tuesday September 19, 2017
Follow us: facebook twitter RSS feed
Print Comment E-mail

The Legacy of Renden Lemasters

 

continued

In the aftermath, the fire department asked city council to forbid upholstered furniture on porches. But student activists vigorously opposed the "couch ban," and the issue was tabled, apparently indefinitely.

Almost six years later, in the early morning of April 3, 2010, a trash container caught fire on the porch of a house on South State. The fire spread to a nearby couch and then to the house itself. This time, two people were injured--and twenty-two-year-old EMU student Renden Lemasters died.

Fire Marshal Kathleen Chamberlain arrived at the fire with the first responders. "It brought the fear we all had to the surface," says Chamberlain, "and let us see the very real consequences of what can happen when upholstered furniture catches fire. They provide tremendous amounts of fuel and generate tremendous amounts of heat very, very quickly."

Afterward, council again took up the couch ban. This time, the fire marshal enlisted the Lemasters family to the cause.

"Kathleen Chamberlain came to me a week after the fire and told me they needed help to get it through," remembers Kim Lemasters, Renden's mother. "We went to council meetings and spoke through the summer and into the early fall."

Bookmark and Share
previous  ·  1 l 2 l 3 l 4  ·  next page
all on one page
read more stories here -> Marketplace  l  Culture  l  Community  l  News

You might also like:

New Blues
GoFundMe helps revive a seminal festival.
arwulf arwulf
Nightspots: Chelsea Alehouse Brewery
Restaurants with Birthday Discount
A clickable zoomable map
Crime Map
A clickable, zoomable map
American Restaurants in Dexter
Community Services - Umbrella Organizations
River Hop
Neighborly fun
Frances Kai-Hwa Wang
Save the Bagel
What do shops do at the end of the day?
Sally Mitani
A2 Jazz Fest
Digging in
arwulf arwulf
Nightspots: Avalon Cafe & Kitchen
Arbor Hospice Palliative Care
Senior Living Communties 734-677-0071
spark ann arbor