Take Back the Toledo Strip!
The Toledo Zoo was started in 1900 when a woodchuck, thought to be a bear, was donated to the city of Toledo. Many of the current buildings were constructed in the 1930s by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). Its collection is larger and more varied than the Detroit Zoo's, and much of it lies on "our" side of the old state line.
The Oak Openings also straddle the old border. As glacial Lake Warren shrank to become modern-day Lake Erie, it left behind a large area of sandy soil just west and south of the Toledo. The area is now an oak savanna and is home to many rare plants and animals, from prickly pear cactus to badgers. It is considered by the Nature Conservancy to have an ecological importance similar to that of the Florida Everglades and to be one of the 200 "last great places on earth."