Michigan's Homeopathic Hospital
The U-M College of Homeopathy had one last success, adding a children's clinic in a small building nearby in 1919. But just two years later, it ceased to exist as an independent entity. Only two homeopathic courses survived the merger with the allopathic school, and they soon disappeared. Dean Hinsdale joined the staff of the Museum of Anthropology, where he became known for his interest in Native American archaeology.
The 1901 hospital served as a medical school annex until 1940, when it was turned over to the ROTC. In the Vietnam era, North Hall was a regular target of protests against the presence of a military training program on campus.
Now, the building is nearing the end of its life. In February, the regents voted to demolish North Hall and the adjacent Museums Annex--the former children's ward--to build a $261 million biology building. With it will disappear the last trace of the homeopaths' hard-fought, but short-lived, victory over traditional medicine.
[Originally published in April, 2014.]