From Detroit to Ann Arbor
So why did this wind up being the last game? Most likely because of the major changes at Ferry Field alluded to in the caption. One year after the Michigan football team played in the very first bowl game, the 1901 Rose Bowl, Detroit businessman Dexter M. Ferry donated twenty acres at the corner of State and Hoover streets to the university. It was just a grassy field at the time, but in 1903 the U-M began construction of bleachers on the south side of Hoover, where the outdoor track is now, and the 9,000-seat Ferry Field opened its gates in 1906.
Ferry Field was eventually expanded to a capacity of 40,000 before being replaced in 1928 by Michigan Stadium--a major step in making the University of Michigan football program into what it is today. But the emergence of Wolverine football probably led to the permanent disappearance of another sporting carnivore from the Ann Arbor scene, one that now happily makes its home in downtown Detroit.